Chinese Pepper Steak
an adapted recipe by Gord Latta
- 1 pound flank steak (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons ginger root grated
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for cooking)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 green bell peppers (sliced in chunks)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 80z can of sliced mushrooms (drained) or fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Step 1: Marinate your sliced steak for about 20 minutes to a half hour.
Step 2: Add oil to your pan (I use a wok). Add garlic, ginger, and scallions. Stir fry for about 30 seconds.
Step 3: Using a slotted spoon, remove beef from marinade, add half of the steak, and stir fry for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with the remaining half. (note – you need to reserve the marinade, as it is used to make the delicious sauce at the end.)
Step 4: Add oil and stir fry mushrooms, onion, and pepper for 2 minutes.
Step 5: Push vegetables to the sides of your pan. Pour marinade into the center and stir fry until thickened and bubbly.
Step 6: Blend in vegetables, add steak and heat thoroughly. Serve on top of white rice